Tuesday 31 May 2011

Money saving for Summer

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay, baby is busily growing and my mind has been focused elsewhere... so much to prepare for, but I think we are nearly there!

Freecycle and Ebay have both been a godsend so far, so many products that you can easily use second hand and saves so much time and money. Not to mention recycling perfectly usable goods, and then either Freecycling or Ebaying them when done.

For now we are focusing on the main things... nursery is becoming a mess but I am sure in the next couple of months we will get sorted.

Aaaanyway, my thoughts for now for everyone, are to try not to overspend on BBQ food and drinks this Summer - a bit of a challenge but post your suggestions, as bulk cooking is so much harder now!

For me to save money on food I am considering growing tomatoes and courgette only this Summer, so that we only have 2 things to focus on, and they are items we would buy anyway. Also, bulk making things like Cous Cous and potato salad etc.

What about you?

2 comments:

Justine said...

I have recently bought some items from Approved Food such a couscous etc. I am on mission to save money where possible.

Jo said...

I would strongly recommend a pot of salad leaves. We have been cropping ours for a couple of weeks now. Last year, I bought 2 packets of Lidl 29p lettuce seeds - 2 different varieties and scattered them thinly on compost in a seed tray sized box. We picked young leaves off as we wanted them and those 2 packets of lettuce seeds gave us either a side salad, a sandwich worth of leaves or a "proper" salad every day for the whole summer. A whole summer's worth of fresh mixed lettuce for 58p. Bargain! Good for you too!