Tuesday 4 October 2011

Bouncing into Autumn

Hi everyone,

Many apologies again for the delay, things are getting into a rhythm of sorts now so I do hope to be able to chat to you more about what i am learning and how we are coming along.

Lately we have continued to save money by using washable nappies, just terry squares with good quality outer wraps. I have also bought 'pocket' nappies on ebay quite cheaply but these do not seem to have the absorbency of good old terries - if anyone has nay tips on the best inner boosters to use I would be most grateful as the pocket nappies are certainly easier to use.

Sainsburys have a third off baby stuff, so have bought some nappy rash cream and value wipes. I do use washable wipes but the disposable ones always come in handy.

I have been batch cooking things like Cottage pie - plus today have a lasagne ready to part cook and freeze (bit naughty as it was frozen mince but there you go). Also planning to cook some macaroni cheese, naughty but nice in this cooler weather...

We bought lots of clothes for little one at a Sunday bootfair, around £0.20p per item, some of which I will be able to resell on ebay as they are branded. Every penny counts!

I am now keeping an eye on freecycle for any items that we might use over the coming few months or even in Spring. Baby activity centres, garden tools, things like that.

We also want to sell our car for something more practical now the little one is here - first we need to find a new car, so that will be our next mission as I am getting fed up of getting into the back via folding the front seat to get his baby seat in.

Also have bought my first Christmas pressie, couldn't help myself, it was a bargain on Amazon and I know hubby will love it.

How is everyone, and what are your favourite money saving tips this month?

7 comments:

Jo said...

Hi
Glad you getting on ok. I was wondering how you were.

When ours were small we were taught to fold a nappy for a little boy in this way:
fold nappy into four; lift the top free corner and pull across so that the top half of the nappy is a triangle; flip the whole nappy over and fold the square bit over into a pad in the centre of the triangle.

Hope you can understand what I mean. It is easier to see than to have a written explanation without any diagrams. It is a little bit bulky but the wodge of nappy is where it is needed most on a little boy and it is pretty good on a little girl too.

Can't help with the new style nappies as we only had terry squares : )

Sophie Gist said...

Thanks Jo - I will have to give it a go! For now have been using the 'Angel Fold' that I saw on Youtube and it seems to be working ok, just a bit worried about the bulkiness as it's hard for him to do tummy time with it so bulky...

Sophie Gist said...

Thanks Jo - I will have to give it a go! For now have been using the 'Angel Fold' that I saw on Youtube and it seems to be working ok, just a bit worried about the bulkiness as it's hard for him to do tummy time with it so bulky...

jacob said...

yes autumn is always start of a tricky financial time of the year with christmas on its way and heating bills to consider. the batch cooking thing is a great idea, not only does it save money it also gives you extra time when you are heating it up the next day. I do it the odd time but really should do it more really.

Matt said...

Looks like Autumn was quite promising for you. I hope the money saving has continued into 2012?

I love this blog and it's a shame that it seems to have been abandoned. I write a money-saving blog myself and I'd be happy to write one or two guest entries to breathe some life back into things. :)

Sophie Gist said...

Matt, nudge well and truly received - see my new post! x

Matt said...

Very nice to see! We all need the occasional nudge here and there.;)